Friday, October 28, 2011

Majora Carter at the National Portrait Gallery


This photo of environmental justice advocate Majora Carter is featured in the new National Portrait Gallery exhibit The Black List: Photographs by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders (and the only environmentalist in the collection - that I could find, anyway). Carter was one of the first people to give a TED talk back in 2006. From that talk, Greening the Ghetto:

"Race and class are extremely reliable indicators as to where one might find the good stuff like parks and trees and where one might find the bad stuff like power plants and waste facilities. As a black person in America, I'm twice as likely as a white person to live in an area where air pollution poses the greatest risk to my health. I am five times more likely to live within walking distance of a power plant or chemical facility, which I do."

0 comments:

Post a Comment