Thursday, January 21, 2010

Our Better Natures

A few nights ago, I met up downtown with two of my friends from college and their significant others. Laura’s getting a Ph.D in Anthropology. L.P. works in health systems at USAID (and is also pursuing a Ph.D. in Global Health). After a few drinks, the discussion started getting philosphical. Are humans inherantly selfish or community-focused?; are social justice and poverty issues best solved through institutional means or via grassroots organizing? L.P. took the former position in both cases, Laura the latter. Both have relevant experiences that back up their opinions. I smiled through my pleasant buzz, knowing that my two friends both have the same goals at heart. I tend to take the middle ground in such debates, though I generally lean toward L.P.’s camp.

0 comments:

Post a Comment